Full instructions, dosage information and potential known side effects are all available in the leaflet that comes with the prescription product. If you require any advice or assistance with placing your order, please donâ€™t hesitate to contact our team.
- FORMOTEROL FUMARATE 12mcg
How do I take/use this medicine?
Use Formoterol exactly as directed by your doctor. Do not use more or less than instructed by your doctor.
Formoterol is available as different types of devices, such as a turbuhaler or a capsule inhaler.
Make sure you know how to use the device you have been given. If you have problems or do not understand the instructions, ask your doctor or pharmacist to show you how to use it.
If you are using a capsule inhaler, you will be given inhalation capsules together with an inhaler. Do not swallow these capsules. These capsules are meant to be placed inside the inhaler.
Remove a capsule from the pack only when you are about to use it.
1. Hold the base of the inhaler firmly and twist the mouthpiece to open.
2. Place the capsule in the compartment at the base of the inhaler.
3. Recap the mouthpiece.
4. Holding the inhaler upright, press both buttons on the inhaler at the same time. Press the buttons ONCE ONLY and release. You will hear a click sound.
5. Breathe out fully and tilt your head back slightly.
6. Place your mouth over the mouthpiece and breathe in quickly and deeply. Hold your breath.
7. Remove the inhaler from your mouth and continue to hold your breath for as long as possible.
8. Open the inhaler and check if any powder remains in the capsule. If you see any powder in the capsule, exhale and inhale again.
9. Repeat the exhale-inhale cycle until there is no more powder left in the capsule.
10. Throw the empty capsule away.
Do not breathe into the capsule inhaler.
Do not place the capsule into the mouthpiece of the inhaler.
Do not wash the inhaler. Always keep it dry.
Do not use a spacer with this inhaler.
Always use the new inhaler provided with each new pack of Formoterol capsules.
If you are using Formoterol to relieve asthma brought on by exercise, use your inhaler 15 minutes before you start exercising.
Formoterol must be used exactly as directed for it to work well. Continue using Formoterol even when you feel better. Do not stop using it unless instructed by your doctor. Your condition may worsen if Formoterol is stopped suddenly.
What should I take note of while using/taking this medicine?
Alert your doctor if:
- you feel worse or if Formoterol does not seem to give as much relief as before.
- you need more than 4 inhalations of fast-acting bronchodilator every day for 2 or more consecutive days.
- you use an entire canister of fast-acting bronchodilator inhaler in 8 weeks.
Inform your doctor if you have low potassium levels, liver disease or are allergic to milk proteins.
If you also have diabetes, be sure to monitor your blood sugar levels regularly because Formoterol may cause your blood sugar to rise.
Alert your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
When should I not use this medicine?
Alert your doctor if you suffer from high blood pressure, irregular heart beat, heart failure or other kinds of heart disease, thyroid problems, diabetes, glaucoma or epilepsy (seizures).
Formoterol may not be suitable for you if you suffer from significantly worsening asthma.
Do not use Formoterol to relieve a sudden attack of breathlessness. Use your fast-acting bronchodilator prescribed by your doctor to relieve such attacks.
Do not use Formoterol with other long-acting bronchodilators.
Are there any restrictions on the type of food I can take?
Try to limit your intake of caffeine-containing drinks such as coffee, tea and certain soft drinks. This is because caffeine can increase some of the side effects of Formoterol.
Why do I need this medicine?
Formoterol is used to treat asthma.
Formoterol is known as a "bronchodilator", which literally means "open airways".
Formoterol may be used on its own or together with other medicines. It helps to treat your asthma or chest illnesses by relaxing the airways in your lungs. Formoterol relieves chest tightness, wheezing and cough so that you can breathe more easily.
Formoterol is also used to relieve asthma brought on by exercise.
What side effects could I experience?
Formoterol may cause dizziness. If you feel dizzy, do not drive or take part in any activity in which you need to be alert.
You may feel that your heart beats faster and more forcefully, causing a "pounding" sensation in your chest. Make sure you inform your doctor but do not stop taking Formoterol unless told to do so.
Other common side effects include nervousness, shaky hands, headache, nausea and dry mouth.
If any of these problems persist or get worse, let your doctor know.
How should I store this medicine?
Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
Medicines must not be used past the expiry date.
Can I take/use this with other medicines?
Inform your doctor if you are taking any other medicines, especially those listed here:
- other asthma medicines
- heart medicines such as digoxin, metoprolol, atenolol, propranolol, hydrochlorothiazide, frusemide
- atomoxetine (a medicine used to treat hyperactivity)
Always inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics, supplements and medicines that you buy without a prescription.