Full instructions, dosage information and potential known side effects are all available in the leaflet that comes with the prescription product. If you require any advice or assistance with placing your order, please donâ€™t hesitate to contact our team.
How do I take/use this medicine?
Take Tolterodine exactly as directed by your doctor. Do not take more or less than instructed by your doctor.
You may need to take Tolterodine for some time before the full benefits can be felt. Continue to take Tolterodine even when you feel better and do not stop taking unless advised by your doctor to do so.
Tolterodine may be taken with or without food. Take Tolterodine at the same time each day.
Tolterodine may be available as a tablet or as a prolonged-release (or extended-release) capsule.
If you have been given the tablet, swallow it with a glass of water.
If you have been given the prolonged-release (or extended-release) capsule, swallow it whole. Do not crush, chew or open the capsule.
What should I take note of while using/taking this medicine?
Inform your doctor if you have:
- heart disease, especially heart rhythm problems
- diseases that cause the stomach to empty slowly
- diseases that cause blockage of your stomach or intestines
- kidney or liver disease
- nerve disorders
- low levels of potassium, calcium or magnesium in the blood
Tolterodine is not meant for children younger than 18 years old.
When should I not use this medicine?
Alert your doctor if you suffer from any of these conditions:
- high pressure in the eye (glaucoma)
- inability to pass urine
- diseases that cause blockage of the urinary tract
- bowel disease such as ulcerative colitis, toxic megacolon
- other bowel conditions that may cause bowel blockage
- myasthenia gravis (a disease that causes severe muscle weakness)
Alert your doctor if you are pregnant or if you become pregnant while being treated with Tolterodine.
Alert your doctor if you are breastfeeding. Do not breastfeed while being treated with Tolterodine.
Are there any restrictions on the type of food I can take?
Why do I need this medicine?
Tolterodine is used to treat urination problems such as passing urine too frequently, leaking urine, an inability to control or "hold" urination or an urgent need to pass urine.
These urination problems are often caused by a bladder that is too active. Tolterodine helps to "calm" and relax the bladder. It reduces the number of toilet visits and the urge to urinate. It also helps the bladder to hold urine better.
What side effects could I experience?
Tolterodine may make you drowsy or dizzy. If you feel drowsy or dizzy, do not drive or take part in any activity in which you need to be alert.
You may also experience some problems with your eyesight such as blurred vision. Alert your doctor of any changes in your eyesight. Avoid driving and operating machinery if you are not able to see clearly.
The most common side effects with Tolterodine are headache and dry mouth. You may also experience constipation, stomach discomfort, dry eyes, palpitations, chest pain, difficulty passing urine, swelling of the arms and legs, dry skin and weight gain.
Inform your doctor if any of these side effects are severe or refuse to go away.
How should I store this medicine?
Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
Medicines must not be used past the expiry date.
Can I take/use this with other medicines?
Alert your doctor if you are taking any other medicines, especially these listed here:
- medicines used to treat irregular heartbeat such as amiodarone, sotalol, quinidine, procainamide
- antifungal medicines such as ketoconazole, itraconazole, miconazole
- antibiotics such as clarithromycin, erythromycin
- medicines used to treat HIV infection such as ritonavir, indinavir
- medicines that slows down the emptying of the stomach such as metoclopramide and cisapride
- cyclosporin (transplant medicine)
- vinblastine (cancer medicine)
Always inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics, supplements and medicines that you buy without a prescription.